Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bear head, not a bare head (pt 2)

So, here is the pattern for my teddy bear headband, better and cleared (I hope!). My mom (FiberBabble.com) was kind enough to test the pattern, and give me some feedback. So I have changed some of the directions (dec instead of dcr, for instance), and added some info. Hopefully, this will make it easier for someone else to follow the pattern =]


Bear Head
(That there is my new Furby, Domo, modeling the Bear Head for me =)

Ears (make 2)
G hook, do not join rounds (work in spiral); use st marker to mark beg of each round. You will not be working the last few sts of the final round - this is to leave the bottom of the circle a little "flat" to make it easier to sew onto the band.

-Ch 2
row 1: 6sc in 2nd ch from hook.
row 2: 2sc in each st around.
row 3: +2sc in next st, sc in next st+ around.
row 4: +2sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts+ around.
row 5: sl st in next 3 sts, +sc in next 3 st, 2sc in next st+. Repeat from + to + until 3 sts remain. sl st in last 3 sts.
row 6: sl st in next 3 sts, 2sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, 2sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts, 2sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, 2sc in 4th st from end of row. sl st in next st.
Tie off, leaving a long tail to sew the ears to the headband.

Band
I hook
Turning ch counts as st; do not dc into turning ch. This headband has scalloped-looking edges - the turning chain kinda sticks out a little on the ends (a happy unintentional "design feature" ;). The finished headband measures 18in long. I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn.
When I measured my finished headband, I got 8 dc per square inch, including the turning chain (4 dc across, 2 rows high = 1in)


-Ch 7.
row 1: dc into 3rd ch from hook, and ea across. Ch2, turn. (5 dc)
rows 2-10: Repeat row 1.
row 11: dc into first st, 2dc in next st, dc in each st across. Ch2, turn. (6 dc)
row 12: 2dc in first st, dc in next 2sts, 2dc in next st, dc in last st. Ch 2, turn. (8 dc)
row 13: 2dc in first st, dc in next 4 sts, 2dc in next st, dc in last st. Ch2 turn. (10 dc)
rows 14-27: dc in ea st across. Ch2 & turn at the end of each row.
row 28: dec first 2 sts tog, dc in next 4 sts, dec next 2 sts tog, dc in last st. Ch2, turn. (8 dc)
row 29: dec first 2 sts tog, dc in next 2 sts, dec next 2 sts tog, dc in last st. Ch2, turn. (6 dc)
row 30: dc in first st, dec next 2 sts tog, dc in last 2 sts. Ch2, turn. (5 dc)
rows 31-40: dc in each st across. Ch2 & turn at end of ea row.
Tie off.


I measured the headband around my dd's head, and then just stitched the ends together, overlapping, to make it the right length. Easy! I've also learned that my daughter and I have the same sized head =X My husband calls me "Bead-head" ;)

No comments: