Friday, October 24, 2008

Black and white and read all over!





I love black and white animals! Almost as much as I love giraffes ;) I carved the zebra, orca, and sleeping panda stamps after sketching out their main shapes from wildlife photos found on the 'net. Identifying basic shapes and patterns in nature is the focus of the next art class I am teaching ;) And I wanted these stamps for a swap I am in...stay tuned for ATCs!

The horse and flower stamps were carved from a piece of paper that I found while cleaning my creative space! I had drawn them a while ago, when I first started carving stamps; I do not remember if they were drawn from a source, or if I actually drew them (I'm sure I didn't draw the horse....but doesn't it have a lovely Mary Poppins feel to it? =)

Last, and probably least, is a felt mini-stocking, created for a swap. I think it's adorable! It is stuffed with a tiny baggie of colourful buttons, ready to be sent off to it's new home in Mission Viejo (I used to live there, in a past life).


Ooooh, it's a jolly holiday with Mary...no wonder that it's Mary that we love...

1 comment:

Cakers said...

I'm looking at your hand carved stamps (you are one talented person!) and it sent me waaaaaay back to the mid 1970's (yes, I'm that old!). In 5th grade in an art class, we had these rubber squares about 8"x8", a very dangerous carving tool and we made a carving on it to in turn make stamped cards. I made this huge mushroom with grass underneath and a sun in the upper corner. About the only thing I can draw without a ruler. Haa! Wow, talk about a flashback. :-)

p.s. The stocking ornament is cool too, I may have to make a few of those myself this year.